Learn How Online Courses Work
Which Online Course Is Right for You: "Term-Based" or "Enroll Anytime"?
Term-Based Online Courses
- Schedule and complete professional development to meet your immediate needs.
- Complete your course within a specified time frame.
- Communicate and collaborate with your colleagues.
Enroll Anytime Online Courses
- Earn professional development credits without leaving home or work.
- Take up to 4 months to complete your course.
- Work independently and learn at your own pace.
Learning with an online course requires discipline and commitment. Before deciding on taking an online course, ask yourself:
- Are you the kind of person that prefers guided structure and deadlines, or can you complete your work without anyone there to push or motivate you?
- Do you prefer to interact in a group setting or do you work well independently?
If you prefer to work in a group setting with guided structure and deadlines, the term-based online courses will be a better fit for your learning style.
Are You Comfortable with Technology?
If you take an online course, you should feel comfortable with technology and have access to the appropriate equipment. Before enrolling in an online course, ask yourself if you can:
- Send and receive e-mail.
- Attach documents to an e-mail message.
- Navigate computer screens and Web browsers easily.
- Create, save, retrieve and browse for computer files.
- Successfully connect to the Internet and log in to a specific URL (Internet address).
- Download media players, software plug-ins, and other free software available on the Web.
Explore our Online Course Demo to experience what it is like to take an "enroll anytime" online course from UND.
IMPORTANT! You must verify that your computer equipment meets the minimum technical requirements needed for an online course. Technical requirements are subject to change without notice.
General Technical Requirements
Although specific technical requirements may vary by online course or program, the following general technical requirements are required for all online courses.
- Active E-mail Account
- Current Operating System: Windows or Macintosh
- Internet Connection: DSL/Cable (recommended)
- Note: A wireless or satellite connection should not be used for taking exams/quizzes and is not recommended for "Live" Web classes.
- Current Internet Browser: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari
- Word Processing Software: Microsoft Word (recommended)
- Additional Free Software Downloads (as necessary)
IMPORTANT! For more specific information about technical requirements, refer to the UND Center for Instructional & Learning Technologies (CILT), your course syllabus (available approximately 1 week prior to your course start date), or contact your instructor.
If you have Technical Support questions regarding HTMLeZ or computer functions related to your online course, please use one of the following options for support: Phone: 701.777.4688 (8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST), or go to: https://learn.aero.und.edu/contact.asp, fill in the requested information and a representative will get back to you. E-mail: email@example.com
Back to Online Course