UND Credit Approval
Are you hosting a conference, workshop, study group, course, or putting together a series of professional learning events for teachers, principals or school counselors?
If so, you may get your teacher training event approved for graduate professional development credit through the University of North Dakota. Educators are more likely to attend activities approved for professional development credit, the continuing education credits they need for certification renewal and salary-lane changes.
Professional Development Events Options
1) Targeted Professional Learning:
Concentrated training or sustained collaborative learning events that consists of a minimum of 15 instructional hours focusing on a topic or theme. These may be face-to-face, online, or blended (a combination of face-to-face and online) delivered learning events which include:
- seminars or institutes,
- study groups or book studies,
- professional learning communities (collaborative teams)
2) Cumulative Credit or "Cafeteria" Plans:
Planned district or consortium programs that allow educators to select from a variety of short-term training opportunities/learning events and accumulate or “bank” their hours toward credit over a term or school year.
Credit Approval Criteria
- One professional development credit is awarded for every 15 hours of direct instructional time.
- Time for meals, breaks, exhibits, and any other non-instructional activities is not counted toward credit.
- Instructor(s) must hold a master's degree or higher.
- For multi-speaker activities, 75% of the total instructional time must be provided by presenters with master’s degrees or higher.
1) Electronic submission of credit approval applications is required. Please complete the online UND Credit Approval Request and select the type of professional development (PD) event for which you are requesting graduate PD credit. Include all required documentation as specified on the online form. There is no cost to apply for credit approval.
2) Submission of the online UND Credit Approval Request and supporting documentation is preferred 20 business days, and no fewer than 7 business days, prior to the start of your event. If your activity is less than 1 month away, please contact UND Professional Development for Educators for special consideration.
3) You will receive notification of credit approval or disapproval within 2 weeks of submission if all supporting documentation is submitted with the application. Omissions will cause delays in the approval process.
4) If your workshop is approved for professional development credit, UND will provide a secured online registration form that interested participants will use to register and pay for the credit. The participan's fee is $50 per credit, payable to the University of North Dakota via credit card or check.